Simple Ways to Prepare for an Estate Sale Consultation
Thinking about having an estate sale but are unsure how to prepare the home for interviewing companies? Here are some simple tips to ensure you and the home are ready!
- Don’t donate anything – Why do the extra work to declutter? The home might be full of seemingly worthless items that would be better off donated but if it can be donated, wouldn’t that mean someone is going to potentially buy it. We always say, if it has a chance to sell you should keep it around because donation ALWAYS happens at the end anyways.
- Don’t organize – It might seem helpful to organize a linen closet or kitchen before hiring anyone. What you may not know is that we tear everything apart and put it all back together like a puzzle! Your time is valuable during this process whether you are moving, downsizing, transitioning a loved one, or even if you have lost a loved one. Don’t spend it trying to do our job.
- Don’t group like by like – Since we move everything around and place it strategically throughout the home, you might think grouping it all together in one place would be helpful. Moving all the picture frames to one room, the pillows to another, and piling up the kitchen with goodies found in the basement so we don’t miss them. You may not know that this again is part of our job and you should be focusing on yourself and your family! We take care of all of these steps and we are trained in doing so.
- Do feel free to remove rubbish – Although any good company takes care of this step for you, if you are 100% certain it’s trash, toss it! Use your best judgement but please hesitate from tossing away gently used household items. This means household cleaners, unopened and non-expired food, gently used clothing (even if it looks like no one would ever wear it), etc. Need a bit more direction? Click here to take a look at this blog for more information on items commonly recycled.
- Do remove personal items – One important part of the estate sale process for you is making sure personal items are removed from the home. This means checkbooks, tax documents, family photos etc. Don’t worry however if you miss something! When we come across an old heirloom or some photos and expired credit cards, we make sure to put them aside for you. We just want to make sure you have what is rightfully yours!
- Do know which items are NOT for sale – Make sure you and your family members have all gotten what they need out of the home or at least have a general knowledge of what will be leaving and not included in the estate sale. Tagging the items with sticky notes is always a good idea and will give the company a visual on what to expect for the estate sale.
- Do download our checklist – Now that you know how to prepare, it is time to start looking for a company! We have a FREE checklist for you to download that will help you through the interview process! Just click here and enjoy!
- Do hire the best company – Think you have the company in mind that suits your needs? Check out our other blog “3 Easy Ways To Guarantee You Hire The Best Estate Sale Company”. It is our goal to coach you through the estate sale process to make sure that you are as successful as possible!
- Do relax – STOP WORKING! The company you hire should tell you from day one to not lift a finger. Don’t clean up or organize like stated above. Think about why you hired a company in the first place. To do the work for you! It’s time to take a minute away from this stressful transition and let the professionals step in to take care of it!